WHAT TO DO IF YOU WERE A VICTIM OF AN AUTO ACCIDENT
Over 2.35 million people are injured or disabledin an auto accident every year in the US. Regardless of how experienced of a driver you are, it takes only a moment for a car accident to happen. Thinking about what you should do if you are a victim of a car accident is not something any of us would like to ponder over, but it is important to know what you should do in such a situation. Of course, the situation will be scary and stressful for anyone, but if you don’t take proper steps after the accident, you can end up in a much worse situation later on.
THINGS TO DO AFTER AN AUTO ACCIDENT
Auto accidents can put a dent in your wallet, not to mention put your life in jeopardy. It is imperative that if the accident is not your fault, you make a claim against the other driver for financial damages. It may take for your case a few weeks or months to be litigated, but if you take proper steps right from the moment of the accident, you may be able to build a strong case and get fair compensation for all the damages you incurred.
Here are a few important steps that you should take after the accident:
- If you are not severely injured and capable of moving around, make sure that you take pictures of the scene as a proof of the accident.
- Make sure that the other driver stays at the scene till the police gets there and takes control of the situation.
- Seek medical attention and start maintaining a record of all the injuries you suffered, both physical and mental, during and after the accident. Specifically note the pain you feel, along with its duration. Make sure you note down all the daily activities that you weren’t able to perform due to injuries.
- To prevent suffering from further mental trauma, you should refrain from talking to the insurance company of the other driver. They may call you to take your statement or send you information about the case to hinder your recovery.
- You have to keep in mind that any papers the other driver’s insurance company sends you would, most likely, not be in your favor. So you should not sign papers under any circumstances.
- Hire a professional personal injury attorney to handle your case. Send all correspondence that may take place with any company or party to your attorney. In such a situation, the only person who you can trust to help you after the accident is your lawyer, as they will be working in your best interest.
HIRE AGGRESSIVE ATTORNEYS
If you have been in an auto accident and want to get professional personal injury attorney for your case, then contact one of our aggressive attorneys in Schaumburg for a free consultation. We do not charge upfront legal fees in personal injury cases.